Workout Playlists You'll Love in 2017
Can you believe that it's 2017?
I fell asleep in my bed at the embarrassingly-early hour of 10:30 PM on New Years Eve, and woke up well rested 14 hours later. Yikes! I guess I really needed some sleep, huh? We had planned to go on a little weekend trip to close out 2016, but when it came right down to it we were in favor of a cozy night in with board games, beer, candy, and sweatpants. You know you've found your soulmate when you both mutually agree you would rather fall asleep to American Beauty on a major holiday than leave the house.
I don't have any huge resolutions this year (other than to survive planning my wedding), but I am looking forward to:
- Reading more books! Send me allllll of your recommendations, please and thank you.
- Doing more yoga! This might sound pretty silly coming from a yoga teacher, but in 2017 I want to be committed to breaking through the plateau in my practice and mastering some new poses. I'm coming for you, handstand.
- Baking more donuts. While I realize that this sounds like a joke resolution, I do actually want to learn how to make more donut recipes from scratch and share them with my friends- those on the internet and those IRL.
- Getting married. I try not to talk about it all the time because I don't want to be that girl, but I am so damn thrilled to marry Dan I just can't stand it. I'm also a little bit excited for our donut cake. Just a little.
- Leading more fitness events. I have some sweet events planned for this year including a couple Just Add Yoga classes, a yoga retreat in Mexico, and a few other projects that are in the works. I'm really excited to meet new faces and work out in new places!
- Rowing my brains out. I got back into rowing in the fall of 2016 after many, many years off, and I'm really excited for the excitement that comes with spring training and following an actual plan.
- Getting back into running after taking about 14 months off. I'm running my annual half marathon in March. Ahh!
Essentially I am going to work out a lot in 2017.
I'm going to be honest: I am one of those people who absolutely can't workout without music. Yoga is the only exception to this, but I can really only handle about 2 classes a week that are music-free. Music motivates me, distracts me when I'm tired, and completes the whole experience. I wish I was one of those people who could self-motivate without a strong beat, but I have realized over time that I am not that person. To me, the music really makes or breaks it. I mean... have you ever been to a class that had bad music? It's like somebody is slowly pulling out every single one of my teeth. Or like I am being forced to watch somebody throw hundreds of donuts in the trash. It's torture. I hate it.
Because of this, I put a lot of TLC into my playlists. It's important to me that I create a class experience as an instructor, and that includes playlists that people actually enjoy listening to. The first time one of my students asked for my Spotify name I was so excited because it meant I was doing exactly what I set out to do, Hallelujah!
Since we have already established that I'm high-maintenance about my fitness jams, I wanted to share some with you in the off chance that you are too. Since my students always ask for my playlists, this also saves me from having to send a million different emails. These are my four newest playlists for lifting, cardio, yoga, or just living your goddamn life. Enjoy!
What is your favorite song to workout to?
Wishing you a happy, healthy, and fit New Year!
PS- if you've been following along on my Instagram you know that my hair has been pink since November. Since I get a lot of questions about it, this is the color wash that I used to get my bubble-gum pink hues on top of my blonde whisps. My hair-dresser bestie got it for me and I am totally obsessed with it. Plus, it smells amazing!